Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re:[FT] Jovian formation

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:00:34 -0700
Subject: Re:[FT] Jovian formation

At 7:46 PM -0400 10/3/99, Laserlight wrote:
>I'm about to make a series of system maps (using Schoon's
>scale of 1 hex = 1/3 AU or 50 million km) for the inner
>systems for several stars.  If I can get Angelfire to behave
>tonight, I'll post the first one (Sol system) on or about
>www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/fullthrust.html ; it will be
>followed by other strategically important systems like
>Alarish, New Zimbabwe, and New Persia (but not uninteresting
>and out-of-the-way places like Albion or Nova Moskva--if you
>think it's important, you make the map).
>
>Now, as I generate planets, I can either place their orbital
>distances randomly to suit myself, or I can generate them in
>accordance with whatever theory seems best at the moment.
>For Alarish, I put the brown dwarf at the distance to get
>the same insolation as Jupiter, on the theory that the local
>temperature was favorable for condensing a large planet
>there.  Pure speculation on my part.
>
>So, you astronomer blokes, once again we're going to call on
>your erudition:
>a) place orbits randomly?
>b) place major gas giant at Jovian insolation distance?
>c) other?

I'd say randomly within a reasonable range, although I bear very
little resemblance to an astronomer.

And angelfire.com is running, albeit very slowly; a tracert shows
slow traffic on both my ISP and alter.net (which seems to be
angelfire's upstream provider).

I'll take a look at my Jovian maps again, I've got a 3D model, and
was just about to set up a display showing Phil's sensor ranges. I'll
see what happens and post it to ImpDisp.

Michael Carter Llaneza
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
Imperial Dispatches: http://www.flash.net/~maserati/ID/

Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol