Prev: [FT] Jovian formation Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re: Jets Vs Vtol

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:00:07 +1300
Subject: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Michael Carter Llaneza wrote:
> I'm starting to think that the laser guided bomb is becoming our most
effective weapon. Asides from this, I recall a documentary on Discovery
(the US Army channel !, and yes, it's not what I consider a canon
source) about the F-111 in Desert Storm. Adter the fixed targets were
mostly blown away, they sent the F111s on night sweeps hunting tanks. A
2000 lb bomb on the rear deck will take out any MBT. I don't precisely
recall the number of tanks claimed by this combo, but iirc it was in
the hundreds.

> Anybody want/able to verify this story?

	Tom Clancy quotes a story like that, but for groups of 4 F16
carrying,
IIRC, 4 1000lb bombs each. The group would come back for reloading
after killing about 14-15 tanks per mission. It was called "tank
plinking" and considered very effective.

> Hmmm... how many damage chits would THAT draw ?

A suggestion, use existing DFO chits damage versus tank top armour
rating (1 less than front), but there's, say, 4 shots the aerospace
plane could try. Roll pilot quality dice versus tank signature dice to
get a direct hit?

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Prev: [FT] Jovian formation Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol