Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: RE: Need Good SGII Camo Ideas

More on Harlequin figs (B5)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:22:31 +0100
Subject: More on Harlequin figs (B5)

>>Regarding their Dr. Who figures...
>>
>>I have never seen them out of the box and they make a nice mortar set
(at
>>least the pics on the box are nice).
>>
>>But here in Dallas/Fort Worth they set of two mortars with crew is
close to
>>$40!	Hell that is double what GW charges for basically the same figs,
and we
>>all know how high they are!
>>
>>What gives with Harlequin figs?  Are they really that good?  Or are
they just
>>overpriced here in Texas?
>
>They're overpriced everywhere, mainly due to the licensing fees for the
>Doctor Who and B5 ranges (and the new LoTR stuff). Even in the UK, the
Dr
>Who figs are 2.50 UKP for most of the figures, and 3.00 for daleks
(that's
>EACH!!), which is even more than GW stuff (with the exception of their
>ludicrously priced special character figs). Sadly, some are not even
that
>good. The daleks are nice, but a lot of the UNIT troopers are rather
>below-average figures.
>
>Someone also asked about Harlequin's B5 figs - the first two boxes are
out
>over here, at 15 UKP for a box of five figures (!); the minis
themselves
>are generally nice and fairly good likenesses (though the photo of the
>forthcoming Ivanova fig (from box 3) in their latest newsletter looks
AWFUL
>- she looks like a Vulcan...), but the biggest problem is that each box
has
>maybe two figures (if you are lucky) that you will actually WANT, plus
3
>incidental minor characters that really won't be a lot of use except as
>general figures. For example, box 1 is Sinclair, Ko'dath, Carolyn
Sykes, a
>Soul Hunter and a generic Security guard; box two is Londo, Adira
(Londo's
>dancer girlfriend), Trakis (who??), a generic Med tech and another Soul
>hunter.....
>
>I can actually see them selling more to B5 collectors than gamers,
which is
>undoubtedly both the intention of the box contents and the
rationalisation
>for the very high pricing.

Further to my last posting above, I've just noticed a comment in the
Harlequin newsletter regarding the B5 figs: it says "Each box is a
limited
production run of 5000. Sorry - not available in USA". So, if you're on
the
other side of the big pond and you REALLY want them, you're going to
have
to either order direct from a UK stockist or get someone over here to
get
'em for you.
I can only assume this is due to licensing restrictions, in the same way
as
the AoG B5 ships were not "officially" available in the UK till very
recently.

Jon (GZG)