Prev: Re: Armor and Railguns Next: Re: Harlequin figs

GMS Air

From: "Phillip Pournelle" <emisle@e...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 10:37:50 -0400
Subject: GMS Air

    The U.S. Navy developed a selectable blast pattern warhead out at
China Lake.  The three options are selectable at the time of detonation.
 First option is an extended rod penetrator, designed to puncture most
heavy armour, the second is a jet blast baloot designed for a standoff
penetration of tanks with PDS, the last is a general fragmentation
blast.	The Air Force is using this warhead design in their LOCAS (Low
Cost Autonomous Attack System) a flying drone guided by a ladar.  It
maps potential targets and selects wich type of warhead to use.
    With this in mind we can safely assume that this warhead will be
improved upon in the near future.  If we can get a missile to attack a
helicopter, then it is easily mobile enough to attack a tank.  The issue
becomes one of fuel.  DSII already stipulates that all VTOLs, etc in low
mode may be engaged by direct fire weapons.  However, to engage one at
high mode may require more fuel than is practicable to carry around for
infantry.

Prev: Re: Armor and Railguns Next: Re: Harlequin figs