Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: GMS Air

Re: Attack vs. MultiRole

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:52:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Attack vs. MultiRole

On  1-Oct-99 at 10:36, Makowsky, Robert LCDR
(RMakowsky@airstaborinquen.uscg.mil) wrote: > Good posts all about this
subject.

> As for the skillsets being different Transport and Gun.  They are
enough
> different that all current services use separate pilots.  More of a
> training $ and time thing than a requirement.
>
> As for your transports using ordinance on the target area... It is
just not
> a good idea.	Us Flyboys <Throws cowboy booted leg up on desk as he
pushes
> back Stetson> can do one thing well at a time.  That's the way were
are
> made.  Find a problem, fix it, find a problem fix it.

So you wouldn't have things set up with a big area affect weapon that
you trigger just before touchdown that torches a large area around
the ship?  No thought, just, 100 meters, clear the area.  I know
I would want something like that in the Starship Troopers scenario.
Obviously in a tight, multiple ship assault you wouldn't use it because
you would torch your friends, but if you stage it a little looser you
could increase your chance of getting your cargo down.

On the SS note, what about troop drops using the Heinlein method?
Of course it would all be PA.

Roger

Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: GMS Air