Prev: Re: What's a RORO? Next: Re: Attack vs. MultiRole

RE: Attack vs. MultiRole

From: "Makowsky, Robert LCDR" <RMakowsky@a...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:35:14 -0400
Subject: RE: Attack vs. MultiRole

Good posts all about this subject.

As for the skillsets being different Transport and Gun.  They are enough
different that all current services use separate pilots.  More of a
training
$ and time thing than a requirement.

As for your transports using ordinance on the target area... It is just
not
a good idea.  Us Flyboys <Throws cowboy booted leg up on desk as he
pushes
back Stetson> can do one thing well at a time.	That's the way were are
made.  Find a problem, fix it, find a problem fix it.  So if you want us
bring some grunts down to an unfriendly LZ great we can do that.  If you
want us to blow up some folks somewhere swell we can do that.  But -  if
you
want us to blow up some folks and then take some other folks along for
the
ride to drop off after well, its not gonna work as well.  When were are
on
the attack we do in small crews (Attacking is dangerous and people like
shoot back) so that we minimize losses.  When schlepping people around
we
try to do it to places that are not likely to result in crashing (Or at
least less likely than when we are blowing things up.  They can still be
unfriendly places but hopefully not so much so.

As for the same vehicle that would be swell if you can do it but I
believe
the design criteria will dictate that separate attack and lift assets
are
developed except in very obscure circumstances	(i.e.: This fringe
patrol
craft can only carry one lander and it needs to be able to assist this
squad
(aliens))

Bob Magic Makowsky