Prev: Re: GMS Air Next: Re: OT 40k Squats

[OT] Longbow Hellfire (was Re: GMS Air)

From: PsyWraith@a...
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 06:00:29 EDT
Subject: [OT] Longbow Hellfire (was Re: GMS Air)

In a message dated 10/01/1999 7:13:12 AM Central European Daylight T,
monty@arcadia.turner.com writes:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Andrew Martin wrote:
>
>  > Actually both Los and Ryan are right. Ryan's talking about the
older
>  > laser guided Hellfire, while Los is talking about MMW Hellfire,
which
>  > is Fire and Forget.
>
>  Ahh, I knew I was forgetting sommat. Is MMW hellfire SARH or ARH?

I'll leave the final call to some of the brighter list members, but from
all
the literature I've read on the Longbow system, the millimetric-wave
radar is
a passive system.  I know it seems contradictory, but it is supposed to
detect the disturbances in radio frequencies caused by large masses like

tanks and have the definition to indetify them by type.  My immediate
reference for this is Army Technology's Apache entry at
<http://www.army-technology.com/projects/apache/index.html> under the
heading
of Missiles ("The Longbow fire control radar incorporates an integrated
radar
frequency interferometer for passive location and identification of
radar
emitting threats. An advantage of millimetre wave is that it performs
under
poor visibility conditions and is less sensitive to ground clutter. The
short
wavelength allows a very narrow beamwidth which is resistant to
countermeasures.").

And now, back to your regularly scheduled selection of GZG
product/settings/rules debates.

Christopher Ruhl
Staff Sergeant, US Army
Tactical PSYOP Team 31
Camp McGovern, Bosnia

Prev: Re: GMS Air Next: Re: OT 40k Squats