Prev: Re: Dirtside Rules Question Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re: [FT] B5 miniatures

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:35:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] B5 miniatures

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:02:31 -0400 (EDT) Roger Books
<books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:

> I'm rather happy about the Fleet Scale minis I received [...] <

Well, I've only seen the Fleet Scale fighters, which are not too far
removed from GZG's own fighters in scale -- slightly bigger, but not
excessively so. They're quite finely detailed, but you pay for it --
7.50Stg for 18, compared to 2.85 for the same number of the equivalent
GF types. I also don't particularly like the big ring-stand, and the
stand mounts on the underside of each fighter is much too chunky for my
taste.

> [...] but looking at AOG's page brings up a question.

> How well do the current miniatures scale for FT? The up and coming B5
miniature looks slightly larger than an FSE SDN, which is what I would
want for a full size space station. Now, what I'm using for scale is
the hex base. Does anyone know if they are using the standard size hex
bases? <

If you're referring to the original non-Fleet Scale minis, then they're
fairly large in FT terms. Scale is not constant, either, so EA
"corvettes" are bigger than "destroyers", which in turn are bigger and
more powerful than "cruisers" (of course, that could just be the result
of JMS's not-great grasp of naval terminology... <g>), and the classes
don't carry across races -- thus, a Centauri destroyer is more like an
FT/modenr DD in comparison with other classes, unlike an EA Omega. Most
of the bigger ships require two stands for stability.

The stands themselves have hexagonal bases that are the "usual" size
(i.e., the size of standard plastic bases that come with GZG and other
companies' minis).

All in all, I'd say that the original B5 minis do best on a big table
using 1MU = 1" or bigger.

Hope this was what you wanted to know.

Phil, who really _must_ get down to painting more B5 stuff....
"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
   -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe
				(Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: Dirtside Rules Question Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol