Prev: RE: Landers - and FT/SG crossover Next: RE: 15mm miniatures - where to find?

Re: [OT} Terraforming

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:59:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT} Terraforming

>Well, there's actually one problem with that- oxygen is
VERY reactive.
>Normally, it bonds to metals, rocks, and everything else
until it's
>gone. The only mechanisms we know of that result in free
oxygen in an
>atmosphere are organic (ie life). Therefore, if you find a
lifeless
>world, it's likely to have a reducing atmosphere (methane
and so forth).
>An infusion of bacteria and photosynthetic airborn microbes
will start
>your terraforming process, but it's going to take a LONG
time....

I seem to recall that a methane atmosphere is unlikely
(probably Stephen Gillette's book, and no, Nyrath, you don't
need to quote chapter and verse, I'll look it up later), but
in any event, who cares?  I'm not looking to start out with
a shirtsleeves environment, just enough pressure that we
don't have to import comets for the volatiles.	My question
is, how long a time and what are the basic steps?  Any other
sources than the ones already mentioned by the listers

Prev: RE: Landers - and FT/SG crossover Next: RE: 15mm miniatures - where to find?