Prev: Re: SG2 Resin kits not avail in US Next: Re: More cheap SG stuff...

Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:59:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen

Brian I hope you don't mind but I figured I would forward this to the
list since
it's interesting stuff.

"Bell, Brian K" wrote:

> Los,
> One thing that you have not mentioned in the Rot Hafen series, but I
thing
> would be implemented, is a change in the Color/Camo scheme of the
Human
> Forces.

> Since the KV sight range is shifted toward the UV, some colors that
appear
> to human eyes as dark or natural may appear as near florescent to KV
eyes
> (I'm thinking especially of some Blacks based on Purple [most black
material
> is really either very dark green or purple]). Also, some color
combinations
> of traditional camouflage may present striking contrast (something
that you
> DON'T want in camouflage. Also, some materials may present additional
> problems.

Brian, yes that's true. I did think on this before writing. A few
things:

The Humans go into the Rot Hafen operation knowing very little
(operationally)
about the Kra'Vak so their uniforms are pretty much based on normal
visual
ranges (RLS3 where a sort of desert reddish brown). In fact when TF
Hannibal is
originally gathered and dispatched to the planet the situation dirtside
is
actually quite unclear. And if you are basing things off of Deacon's
story (as I
had) then it's safe to assume that since NSL operatives had been killed
by the
NAC in the original "Karla's Kidnap" incident (not to mention PAU) then
much of
Deacon's stuff would not have originally been made available to the NSL
prior to
the NAC agreement to conduct this joint exercize. Everything was very
hush hush
need to know (happens all the time in real life (tm).  There's not
really any
time to develop new uniforms within the time frame of the story.

However a quick-fix UV blocking spray or chemical is applied to all
uniforms
before they deploy. (I mentioned it in the story where Grant is showing
Muldoon
and company how to don their kit.) While it may not be that effective,
it is all
they have. Note also that this is based on current US uniforms. BDUs
come brand
new impregnated with a	sort of IR blocking chemical which helps reduce
your
signature to night vision device. Unfortunately once you start washing
your
uniform it starts losing it's effectiveness. So I figured in the short
term that
would be a suitable quick fix. Throughout the story there are a number
of quick
fixes all the forces are doing to react to new intelliegnce on the foe.

Just to punctuate your point the Vietnam era jungle fatigues (the OD
green ones
known as OG107s) look like bright white snow suits if you see one at
night
through Night Vision goggles.

> I would think that re-supply to Rot Hafen would include new paint and
or
> uniforms to change the camo schemes of the ground units.

It's just that it takes more than two weeks to disseminate this type of
information through the procurement channel and develop completely new
uniforms
and test them. That's the procurement establishment for you.  That's why
local
forces on the spot usually have to develop their own quick fixes (the
spray).
However I think that lessons learned from this operation will launch
many powers
into a frnatic development and porduction cycle for lots of stuff (Like
adapting
the Krait AAMs to allow targetting of KV fighters) . As an aside , no
doubt the
kra'Vak will also be going through a lesson's learned pahse and
developing new
counteracting technologies.

> The KV, with a hunting tradition, may be even quicker to pickup on the
> optical differences and adapt camouflage.

Actually the Kra'Vak have been doing pretty well through the story.
There are
constant difficulties with tracking or spotting Kra'Vak since there is
something
about their uniforms and equipment that defeats or degrades the IR band,
as the
Humans have found out.

Thanks for the ideas. Actually I think it will be prety funny as soon as
the
battle is over they get a shipment of effective UV defeating uniforms!
That's
DOD for you.

Los

Prev: Re: SG2 Resin kits not avail in US Next: Re: More cheap SG stuff...