Prev: I'm back! and FMA (attention: Jon Tuffley) Next: Re: SG2 Resin kits not avail in US

Re: From the Mouth of St. Jon the Oracle

From: krs@g...
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:15:07 -0700
Subject: Re: From the Mouth of St. Jon the Oracle

On 27 Sep 99, at 19:10, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Now, I understand Armourcast may use a better resin and hence their
> per vehicle price is higher (at least I assume this is it). Is there
> something different or more high-tech about their process? This might
> help explain the apparent quality difference and or the cost
> difference. (If anyone has checked out their latest big ass Battletech
> kit at $140.00 US you'll know what I mean - I think each of my
> tempests were worth about $62.00 Can each or so).

As I understand it, they use a resin comparable to ours but they
pull vacuum on the stuff as it sets up.  Quite a feat I'm told since
the resin sets in just a few minutes.  I have a line on a new resin
from an outfit called Polytech somewhere in the wilds of
Pennsylvania that is supposed to give excellent reproduction
without the need for vacuum or pressure molding.  We are
beginning to experiment with pressure molding here, hopefully the
quality will go up, but it looks like the trade off is a higher price.
The labor added when molding with pressure or vacuum increases
cost.

> So, someone who knows (KR or Jon), could you comment on the
> differences - the whys and wherefors?

See above.  Also note that because of the small (I hope!) difference
in quality we have managed to keep our resin prices down.  We are
always looking at new ways to do things, new resins and new
products to exploit new resins.  We've had a marked improvement
in quality since we started doing resin in 1994, and we'll continue
to improve - but we also want to keep it affordable.  Armorcast
does not give wholesalers and distributors the level of discounts
that we do, if they did, their price would go up.

KR, Geo-Hex