Prev: Re: Aliens models and minis Next: Re: Aliens models and minis

Re: Re:Commo Traffic and Direction Finding...

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:13:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Re:Commo Traffic and Direction Finding...

check !

that's a good site, pretty much a whole DSII supplement in itself.

I like your RPV rules, but I've had in mind more capable RPV systems
and in relatively tiny packages (very sub Size-1). These small,
expendable units would be capable of remote detection and of passing
information back to the controlling unit (and then to its tactical
net) and some of them will be capable of acting as decoys for the
controlling unit. There will be a lot of electronic noise, but the
tightbeam commo will keep it down, and the noise will make it easier
to hide your real units in the background. The drones would be only
semi-autonomous, only capable of NOE flight, detection and commo
activity, and following waypoints. Tactical direction and decision
making would be dependant on instructions from the controlling unit.
I would imagine a primary difference between medium and heavy tanks
would be having a third crewman to handle the detection and EW
chores; two man crews (a la Hammer's Slammers) would work but the
extra brain woudl be an advantage.

In this sort of battlefield environment there would be a great deal
of recon and EW action, making a referee almost a necessity. Indirect
fire weapons would be crucial to take advantage of ridgelines and
whatever edge in the detection game you can manage. Direct fire
weapons would come into play with opportunity fire on targets
appearing briefly through passes in the terrain, popup attacks
against targets spotted by drones will also happen.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think it'd be fun.

I've got the USGS survey map of Sonoma County, CA (lots of rolling
hills, watercourses, and open areas; perfect terrain for grav armor)
at a scale of 1cm = 1km, or 1mm = 1" in DSII's scale. I'd like to try
an enhanced EW/GMS game on that ! Of course, any suitably interesting
terrain that you're familiar with will also do nicely. I highly
recommend USGS maps. And if I can find a digital version of the map
I'll set up a pbem game.

At 9:28 AM +1200 9/26/99, Andrew Martin wrote:
>Michael Carter Llaneza wrote:
>> I'd like to see this in DSII terms !
>
>	Check out my site here:
>		http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
>	for DF, jammers, and drone rules for DSII.

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/
Security and Privacy Alert:
http://www.cryptonym.com/hottopics/msft-nsa.html

Prev: Re: Aliens models and minis Next: Re: Aliens models and minis