Prev: Re: new member Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

Re: [OT] In defense of Aliens

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:31:45 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] In defense of Aliens

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 Aron_Clark@digidesign.com wrote:

> I'll have to say that Aliens is perhaps one of my favorite movies.  In
my
> opinion it is the best portrayal of sci fi combat/soldiers in a film
yet.  Sure
> the whole mothering theme was a bit thick, but beyond that a truly
excellent sci
> fi film.

I'll say that I liked it, but militarily it was lacking. that or the
forces were designed by comitte and never tested.

> Small elite unit which is on recon, not search and destroy.  Expects
to meet
> friendlies planet side

So when you don't get any kind of signal from planet at all, you do some

long distance recon, you don't go all the way into the complex...then
realize you are in deep shit. Flyovers, then send a scout team in. Not
your whole damn force.

> I don't recall any mentioned, but let's assume ortillery that could
easily
> flatten the small colony outpost.  Who'd call that sort of support on
their
> position.

They weren't mentioned, but look at the, oh what was it called,
something
suitably greek sounding as I recalled. Anyhow, look at it during the
beginning of the film. It has some serious turrets on dorsal and spinal
mounts. Just remembered, Sulaco...

> > The use of just one of the two landers when the ship had the
capacity for
> > more troops to use the additional assault shuttle.
>
> Did the ship have capacity for more troops, seemed at full strength to
me.  The
> other attack shuttle seemed to be happen chance or additional support.

You don't carry a second lander around for just a spare. Why not have  a

second ready crew and command crew on board the ship?

> I'd be pretty freaked out to if I ran into an unknown enemy that, that
captured
> all my buddies, then inpregnanted  them with baby enemies.

It'd be freaky, but gamers wouldn't freak out...<geek>(anyone remember
that "whats new" episode by Phil Foglio where Dixie and whatever his
name
is discuss the merits of gaming on problem solving?) </geek>

> I'd say the ship was a heavy destroyer, cruiser tops.  I don't recall
abandoning
> the ship when the alien was on board.  Flushed out an air lock and
then everyone
> took cryo naps.

Doh, I was confusing the two first two movies...

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: new member Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)