Prev: Re: [Convention] GZG East Coast Convention Announcement Next: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures

Re: SG2: Little HMMWVs (Hummers)

From: Mike.Elliott@b...
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:51:28 +0100
Subject: Re: SG2: Little HMMWVs (Hummers)

UsClintons@aol.com on 24/09/99 13:33:27

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

To:   gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Mike Elliott/UK/BULL)

>> Wandering around the Web the other day, I hit the
>> Hummer (yes, the civilian version of that great truck)
[snip]

>1/64 is too SMALL for SG2 if you use 25-28mm figs.  If I am not
mistaken
1/64 is the scale >of most of Matchbox and Hotwheels vehicles.

>But, if you game 15mm it might be okay...  I have seen a the Matchbox
version for under $1 >around where I live and I am pretty sure it says
1/64
on the bottom (my son has one).

>Scott Clinton

Sorry, I beg to differ. When Jon T designs the 25mm vehicles for
Stargrunt,
he uses 1/60 as the notional scale.
To take a 25mm figure, it all depends how you measure it. For the sake
of
argument, lets say that 25mm is equivalent to 6 feet.
This means that 72ins (1828mm) is represented by 25mm. 1828 /25 = 73. So
the correct scale is 1/73. Most people reckon that 25mm is equivalent to
1/72. Actually, the 25mm measurement is often reckoned to be "foot to
eye"
rather than "foot to toop of head" and anyeway most humans
are less than 6 feet tall. Either way, the effect is that 1/72 is too
small. Thus, Jon T uses 1/60 to make the vehicles appear "chunky"
compared
to the figures. They look fine to me.

Therefore I reckon that 1/64 is OK for 25mm.

As for 15mm, Peter Pig, who produces one of the largest ranges of 15mm
figs
      on the market uses 1/100 for the vehicle scale,

so 1/64 is WAY too big for 15mm!!

Mike Elliott

Prev: Re: [Convention] GZG East Coast Convention Announcement Next: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures