Prev: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures Next: RE: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures

Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@c...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:34:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures

Roger Books wrote:

> I don't see this as being any worse than the scale difference between
> the FSE SDN and the FSE frigate.  Maybe I'm missing something?

I gues my main worry is things like the HMS Nike:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~captruss/Images/tease.gif

If I'm remembering correctly that it is 1200m long, we're looking at a
4cm miniature, with just over 1cm to put in all that hull detail.

I guess my main problem is that, with the ships that are...  well...
boring in basic hull design I'd really like to have a good amount of
detail to make them a little less boring.  Since I'm not willing to put
detail on that isn't there already, it's getting kind of limited for the
smaller ships.

By no means impossible to do, just difficult.

Just an aside, the artist has a bit of freedom in ship design as long as
they follow the same basic rules.  One of the things he mentioned on a
newsgroup post is that he would be playing around with different style
hammerheads to help distinguish the different classes.	Something that's
very apparent between the Nike and the Minotaur.

That will be very helpful for miniatures, since it would be just about
impossible to tell them apart any other way. (aside from size)

> It may be beyond my abilities to sculpt, but isn't as bad as I
> initially thought.

I guess it's worse than I initually thought, but not insurmountable.

Even if we dont' work together or anything, do you want to settle on a
common scale for the miniautres we're both working on?	It would be nice
(presuming either of us ever manages to get them semi-mass produced) if
they would at least be in scale with each other.

Thoughts?

Tom

--
Thomas Pope
Human Computer Interaction Institute

Prev: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures Next: RE: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures