Prev: Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news. Next: RE: Full Metal Anorak

Re: APDs, LSD's and LPAs

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:56:29 +0100
Subject: Re: APDs, LSD's and LPAs

> see also the later HSS, which is stena's latest catamaran, and which
is a
> dead ringer for a shuttlecraft off star trek. length 127 m, cruise
speed
> 40 kts, displacement 20 000 tonnes.
>
> http://www.seaview.co.uk/cruiselines/stena/Stena_HSS.html
>
> i sailed past one in an 80-year-old gaff cutter out at Harwich. that
was
> comical.
>
> i don't know how seaworthy they are - could they operate in foul
> deep-ocean weather? if so, i can see navies picking up on catamarans
> before too long.

The smaller ones such as the cross-channel Seacats are renowned for
being very
lively in even slightly choppy waters. My wife's delicate stomach
dictates
that we always take the ferry to France, never a Seacat, despite the
much
reduced crossing time.

Tony

Prev: Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news. Next: RE: Full Metal Anorak