Prev: RE: Resin Casting Next: Full Metal Anorak

Re: Dogamarans

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:55:18 +1000
Subject: Re: Dogamarans

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> The USN has several for sonar research. Had em before the aussies did
> too. Just not operational vessels. They are for trials and research.

> T-AGOS 19-22 Victorious class ocean surveillance Ships
> AGOS-23 Impeccable

These aren't exactly "Fast Cats" at 16 knots. If you want to include
such ships, have a look at HMAS Rushcutter.

http://www.navy.gov.au/3_photo/rush001.jpg

Which predates the USN SWATH hulls by a few years (1989).

> My understanding is that since the hull is mostly below the WL it
tends
> to get less wave action than a conventional hull. They are odd as far
as
> space. You get less hull volume but more square footage up top. The
first
> one the navy had, was great as far as helo pad space. There is also
lots
> of space for lowering gear into the water. Just open a hatch in the
deck
> between the hulls.

Which makes catamarans ideal for Sonar work, minehunting etc. But rather
than the conventional Cat or SWATH, the wave-piercing Cat is rather a
different beastie, designed for fast speed and stability in rough
conditions. The large top area - and hence available volume for
low-weight high-bulk cargo (people) makes them perfect for ferries.

And fast attack transports... which is what this thread was about.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: RE: Resin Casting Next: Full Metal Anorak