Prev: Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news. Next: [Convention] GZG East Coast Convention Announcement

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:33:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Los wrote:

> A word about assault landers. I would never ever land anything bigger
than
> a platoon in one ship in any environment that  was dangerous as per
the
> reason's TOM outlines above. One yahoo with a shoulder fired weapon
who's
> been skipped by sensors for whatever reason (remember each tech always
has

I have to wonder what a yahoo with a shoulder fired weapon is going to
do
to something the size of a LCH. Whooho, I made a 4 inch hole in the
cargo
bay!. These things are going to have thrust out the wazoo to get off
planet. They are not your uncle's space shuttle. To seriously damage
one,
you'd have to hit it with more than a LAW or LAD.

> a counterbalance to it) can ruin your whole expensive invasion! SO
Chinook
> sized landers seem the way to go. Nor do I buy them fulfilling dual
roles
> ala the aliens ship. They are too valuable. Have a dedicated fire
support
> vehicle.

Then why does the army have LCACs and LAAAV-7's with weapons? If the
vehicle has to go into a hot zone arm it. I'd hate to be an infantry
platoon with a LCAC bearing down on my beach. AGLs are not pretty when
they open up from a large fast and stabilized mount.

Even the Helos used in vietnam were armed some how. Though the slicks
(UH1 with door gunners) were discreet from the gunships.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news. Next: [Convention] GZG East Coast Convention Announcement