Prev: Re: Resin vehicles - customizing Next: Re: Sandcasters [My version]

Re: Resin vehicles - customizing

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:58:57 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Resin vehicles - customizing

On 23-Sep-99 at 14:46, Popeyesays@aol.com (Popeyesays@aol.com) wrote:
> In a message dated 9/23/99 12:57:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
> books@mail.state.fl.us writes:
>
> <<
>  What I really need is a better medium than fimo, the stuff is too
>  elastic even before baking.	Anyone know what a "real" moldmaker
>  uses?
>   >>

> Are you using FIMO for the mold? Or are you using it to make the
master,
> from	which you make the mold?

Sorry for not being clear, I'm using Fimo for the master.  I'm making a
latex mold.

> Try using Milliput to model in. You can make a rough shape  allow it
todry,
>  add more and sculpt, fairly flexible. When you the ship model you
like,
> then	figure out how to make the mold from it.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, I should be swinging by the art place
tonight
(need some more brass channel for basing ships) and I'll pick some up
there.

> I should plaster of paris
> would make  a better MOLD than FIMO.

I'll probably continue to use latex, it handles undercuts very well and
is cheap to use.  The only problems I see with latex is it requires
patience
and its lifetime isn't that great.  However, if I make 6 BB's I will
have
my moneys worth, and I can always make a new mold off of the first
casting.

I tried doing some plaster casting, but the stuff stuck to my mold even
with the mold release and it destroyed my mold after the first casting.
:(

Roger

Prev: Re: Resin vehicles - customizing Next: Re: Sandcasters [My version]