Prev: Re: Escorting convoys Next: Re: [DS2] Dice based damage

Re: Escorting convoys

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:02:00 -0700
Subject: Re: Escorting convoys

>Perhaps something like the following rules for convoy escort scenarios
would
>sort things out.
>
>1.  A ship may screen the convoy ships (much as a fighter group screens
>ship)
>  for incoming fire.  (The screening ship must be within 3? inches of
the
>  convoy ship, and have a greater thrust rating, for manuevering)

I like it so far. Let's take a look...

>2.  Any fire directed at the convoy ship requires an extra dice roll by
the
>  screening ship's owner.  (Who must choose which ship to roll against
- you
>  can't screen against a swarm of ships)  If the number rolled is 5+
any hits
>  inflicted are scored on the screening ship.	You may not roll if the
firing
>  ship is on the opposite side of the convoy ship.

If you're within 3", why add this restriction. Fighters don't have it.
If
you're within 3" and have "screening" in you orders, you have the option
use the effect against ANY one ship.

>3.  If the screening ship is physically between the firing ship and the
convoy
>  ship, then a +1 bonus is applied to the screening roll.

I'd axe this entirely. It muddles things, and invites conflict over the
definition of "between."

>And a little note.. this should not affect the firing of salvo
missiles,
>its hard enough to hit the ship that you want to anyway - and any
escort
>worth a damn should be able to help with the ADFC and PDS anyway.

Agreed.

>I hope that all sounds sensible.. as I don't get the chance to play
test
>any of my ideas,

Sound workable with some mods. Playtesters up!

Schoon

Prev: Re: Escorting convoys Next: Re: [DS2] Dice based damage