Prev: Re: [DS2] Dice based damage Next: Re: Brigade Models

Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news.

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:23:21 +1000
Subject: Re: OT: Bad B5 Sim news.

>>	   First Crusade get's screwed by TNT, then Sleeping in Light
loses
the
>> Hugo to The Truman Show (errrrr... I thought that the Hugo was an
award
>> for science ficton, not vehicles for bad comedians), and now this.
It
>> has not been a good year for Babylon 5.

While SiL is a sentimental favourite (heck, it was mine!) I agree with
the
Hugo presentation to The Truman Show. Science Fiction is supposed to be
about pushing boundaries and finding that certain "twist" that makes
something sci-fi. SiL was excellent, but it didn't introduce any great
concepts or push the boundaries - something very similar to it could
have
been the final episode of almost any drama.

Meanwhile, TTS put a different angle on a lot of things, and made people
think about the media and the world we live in - though it's not
"straight"
or "hard" science fiction.

I would have loved it if SiL won, and I thought it would based upon
empathy
vote, but it didn't. I must admit to being surprised when they read out
Truman Show - but in hindsight, it makes sense to me.

Jeremy Sadler - jsadler@earthling.net
Sub-Editor/Art Director
Frontier: Australian Science Fiction Media Magazine
http://frontieronline.virtualave.net
Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site - http://stargrunt.virtualave.net

Prev: Re: [DS2] Dice based damage Next: Re: Brigade Models