Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval Next: OT: Bad B5 Sim news.

Re: Sandcasters and masking screens and one shot PDS

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:10:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Sandcasters and masking screens and one shot PDS

>One shot PDS:
>Same effect as a conventional PDS. No idea what the symbol should be.
>As the name indicates, when the one shot PDS is fired, it is used up.
>(Perhaps DPDS for Disposable PDS).
>Mass: 0.5
>Cost: 1

I'd like to find a way to keep out of the fractional accounting. Perhaps
make it two shots with 1 MASS and 2 POINT COST.

>Sandcaster:
[snip]
>Mass:
>3-arc	2
>6-arc 3
>Cost:
>3-arc 4
>6-arc 6

I'd keep this simple and just do the all-arc version. Also, I think I
like
the other mechanic better:

<<Just treat the sand as creating a dust cloud effect, which is already
well
defined under the rules (gives +1 Screens). If we want to make it like
Smoke
Launchers - then just say that it works like ADFC in that the target or
launching platform must be within 6" of the ship using the Sand
Caster.>>

>Masking Screen:
[snip]
>Mass:
>Some % of hull mass
>Cost:
>Some cost per mass

I think that you could combine these into one system. A ship sand caster
which acts like the masking screen but has added sand benefits. The % of
hull mass is right on, however.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval Next: OT: Bad B5 Sim news.