Prev: RE: Webrings Next: RE: Starship Troopers Action Fleet

Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector...

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:23:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector...

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:
> >It can be mounted two ways; sand can be dumped overboard, creating a
> >trail behind the ship, or it can be fired by large, low-powered
> >launchers, creating sand 'clouds'.  'Sand' is placed in the movement
> >phase of the turn, after writing orders, but before movement.
>
> I'd say just stick with the launcher concept. Forget the dumping. It
opens
> up a whole can of worms about placement anyway.

True, but I like the idea of laying down 'smoke screens' to protect
freighters and other ships under convoy.

> >Sand is laid in 9" long, 3" wide bands if dumped overboard, and
explodes into
> >a 3" diameter circle upto 12" away from the ship when launched.
>
> I like the 3" dia concept, but I'd restrict it to 6" of the ship.
(PSB)
> Sand would tend to disperse too quickly otherwise.

Sure...

> >Sand interferes with all direct fire weapons.  Treat the target as
> >one range band further away then it actually is.

Which means that if there's a sand cloud between a ship and a Class-1
battery, you can't hit the ship.

>  If 'sand' is located
> >between a detonating SML and a target ship, the die roll for
attacking
> >missiles is reduced by one.
>
> I'd question this, unless you're maintaining that it interferes with
the
> basic targetting somehow.

That's the basis of the 'affects the broad EM spectrum' idea.  Assuming
SMLs use something as plebian as radar (8-), sand should be able to
scatter the signals, making targets harder to lock on to.

> >Somebody else can figure out the MASS and mechanics of the lauchers;
> >I have to get back to work here.  (8-)
>
> Not just yet. I'd like to get the effects hammered out first.

Whoever wants to hammer, hammer.  I'm still trying to get work
done here.  Really.  (8-)

J.

--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: RE: Webrings Next: RE: Starship Troopers Action Fleet