Prev: FT:Battlestar Galactica Question Next: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

Re: [increasingly OT] How much is a kT? (and some RG stuff)

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:01:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [increasingly OT] How much is a kT? (and some RG stuff)

Kent Nordstrom wrote:
> Another important consideration is barrel wear.  A big problem in
current RG
> research is that the rails take a heck of a lot of abuse from the
projectile
> going out so damned fast.  The slug isn't levitated in the middle of
the
> barrel like most folks' ideas of a gauss gun.  An electric current
passes
> from one rail to the other through the projectile to make it go (well,
> through a plasma just behind the projecile).	If your projectile is
ripping
> down the barrel at 0.1c, you're going to be changing a lot of barrels!
 If I
> were a KV ordie, I'd much rather have RGs shooting at 0.01c--they
wouldn't
> wear out as often.

	Actually, most people mistakenly say "Rail Gun" when they
	actually mean "Coil Gun".

	Like you say, Rail guns have rails that erode like crazy.
http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Services/Education/SpaceSettlement/Nowicki/SPBI1
13.HTM

	Coil guns are much nicer.
http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Services/Education/SpaceSettlement/Nowicki/SPBI1
12.HTM

Prev: FT:Battlestar Galactica Question Next: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval