Prev: Re: railguns Next: [sfconsim-l] Re: abstract movement system: HG/TCS

Re: railguns

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 06:47:08 +0200
Subject: Re: railguns

bbrush wrote:

> Well in my defense, having only just joined the list I was unaware
that
> railguns had been radically, unofficially revamped so I used the
stats out > of MT.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but the MT railgun has a max
range of 30 mu :-/ As I said, it doesn't matter much for the general
discussion.

> I don't really see that targeting considerations are germain to the
> discussion of slug mass and velocities, which is why I didn't address

> them.

Believe me, unless your projectiles are guided their velocity has
*everything* to do with targetting considerations. If a weapon can't
hit its targets, it doesn't matter how much damage it would have
inflicted if it had hit...

My table is 120 x 80 mu; that's equivalent to 10' x 6'8" if you measure
in inches. In Cinematic, maximum practical velocities (without using a
floating board) are roughly 6*Thrust; in Vector, 4*Thrust. I like
Thrust-8 ships :-/

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com