Prev: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff? Next: Re: simple strategic campaign for FT

Re: DDs/DDEs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:01:41 +0200
Subject: Re: DDs/DDEs

Charles N. Choukalos

> Someone was babling about DD (torpedo) and not DDE style.........
I've
> actually found that my favorite DD's are the NSL ( tough enough that
the
> Cap's have to burn quite a bit o'fire power to mission kill one....
and
> they can hurt the caps fairly bad if they get in close... ).

The only gripe I have with the Waldburg and the Warsaw (slightly
smaller, one PDS less - don't get it attacked by fighters) is that they
are Thrust-4 instead of Thrust-6 like your strike designs below. In
Vector the difference isn't very dramatic; in Cinematic it is.

'Course, something has to give - the Ticonderoga is fast and cheap but
brittle, the San Miguel is tough (tougher than the Waldburg, in fact)
and fast, but expensive, and the Volga is expensive and slow, but tough
and heavily armed (an extra C2-6 battery).

> I have tried the following...
>
> DD
> mass 30 cost 100
> thr-6, ftl, avg hull(9 hits)
> weapons(9 mass):
>
> load 1:   1 firecon
>	  2 P-Torps(f)

Don't get hit by SMs or fighters :-( And, as you have found out, it's
not that easy to keep it pointed at its targets if you use Cinematic
movement (much easier in Vector).

I'd prefer to remove one P-torp, make the other one 3-arc and use the
remaining 2 mass for either PDS or armour (or one of each). A lot
easier to aquire targets, and a bit more survivable.

> load 2:   1 firecon
>	    1 pds
>	    1 Class-3 beam(f) or P-torp(f)
>	    1 Class-2 beam(360)

Same targetting problem as 1, but at least the C2 will be able to fire
most of the time.

[missile/C1 designs snipped]

> STD NAC package...........

STD DD package <g>

> After playing around with these variations I found that:
> load 5,4,3 work on the fire all you got once then run like blazes...

Hm. Why then bother with all those C1 batteries?

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff? Next: Re: simple strategic campaign for FT