Prev: Re: Cost and Stats for Rail Guns Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?

re: ADB's new web policies.......

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:52:09 -0400
Subject: re: ADB's new web policies.......

Uh.......

dude who cares........ now you can play Star Fleet Command (Interplay)
and never give a rats arse about ADB... other then Interplay will get to

talk to them at some point and make Star Fleet Command II to allow us to

terrorize our buds in some serious SFB stype blasting (SFB = Star Fleet
Battles... ADB's star ship combat game... really cool... but far too
much
rules lawyering to deal with... Usually you had to play a lot just to
get
to the point where you knew the rules/ships well enough that you could
get into the tactics of it.... at that point unless your opponents were
at the same level... it became.... " What you can do that with Tractors,

or ECM or shuttles... ect... ... Eventually the battle degrades down to
I'll take the Fed FFG and I'll fight your D7C.... oh sorry you didn't
ever score any internals on my FFG and I blew you up... hum? )
Anyway..... I'm babling aimlessly........ [ basically I played a lot
o'SFB, but never had any experienced players.... then after you'd spent
hours trying to teach them the rules, you'd play 1 or 2 and they'd get
discouraged and quit it.... not to mention all the time it took to play
out a simple 1-1 battle....!!! ]

Okay......... Back to DD's and stuff...........
Someone was babling about DD (torpedo) and not DDE style.........   I've

actually found that my favorite DD's are the NSL ( tough enough that the

Cap's have to burn quite a bit o'fire power to mission kill one....  and

they can hurt the caps fairly bad if they get in close... ).  I have
tried the following...

DD
mass 30 cost 100
thr-6, ftl, avg hull(9 hits)
weapons(9 mass):

load 1:   1 firecon
	  2 P-Torps(f)

load 2:   1 firecon
	  1 pds
	  1 Class-3 beam(f) or P-torp(f)
	  1 Class-2 beam(360)

load 3:   1 firecon
	  1 pds
	  3 class-1 beam
	  1 SMR

load 4:   1 firecon
	  2 class-1 beam
	  3 MT missles

load 5:   1 firecon
	  2 class-1 beams
	  6 subpak's (F)

load 6:   1 firecon
	  1 pds
	  1 class-3 beam(f fs fp)
	  1 class-1 beam

STD NAC package...........

After playing around with these variations I found that:

load 1 was pretty cool....... but really did less damage then most
setups
because it spent a lot o'time manuvering but not in weapon arc of its
torps.

load 5,4,3 work on the fire all you got once then run like blazes...
These boats only work well if they're a couple of them.  I found that
because of the way the PDS rules work now... that load 4 is pretty
ineffective, but ties up PDS... load 3 is okay, and load 5 never can get

really close to get the most out of the subpak's.

Load's 2 and 6 were a way to try to get more range/punch on the
destroyer... but in most of my games they never really seemed to be as
effective or do as much as....

The Standard Destroyer Load ... it has a capablility of over time
putting
out more damage then most of the other designs.....  However.....  I
really think that the NSL DD is the best...  my reasons for this are
that
the players I play against will usually try to get the 1st or 2nd
thresholds on small ships at range or asap... usually because they
mission kill the ship ( kill the FC, or the big guns on it ect.... ) the

Standard NAC DD is 3 hits to do this! ( 5 for 2nd threshold ) not
much......  I think the NSL DD discourages this by upping the ante to 6
for the first ( 3pts armor ), and 8 for the 2nd.  That's usual CL or PC
type fire needed......	Just some thoughts.

Chuck

--
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
|Chuck Choukalos | IBM : 1000 River Road   | Phone:802-769-5787 (tie
446)

|ASIC Core	 | Essex Junction, VT 05452| Fax  :802-769-5882 (tie
446)

|Developement	 | Bldg. 862C Dept. RDVV   | Email:chuckc@btv.ibm.com

-

Prev: Re: Cost and Stats for Rail Guns Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?