Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:05:10 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> >	  I would be _very_ careful before I assumed a solid hit
> > wouldn't cause problems for the entire ship.
>
> Depends on the kind of hit. There was a destroyer in WWII that
suffered
> something like 5 Kamikaze hits before finnaly sinking. There was a
> battleship in WWI that was struck by a torpedo and capsized. I can't
> remember the damn name. One torp did her in. She capsized and sank.
The
> dying throws were captured on film, crew streaming all over her hull
and
> clambering up onto the side as it rolled over. Some made it to the
> underside as it rolled over completely.

This famous sequence is of the HMS Barham, a Queen Elisabeth class
battleship. Torpedoed by a U-boat in the Indian Ocean. (I forget the
date but can look it up if you wish). She capsized very rapidly, and the
steam explosion when the water went into her stack blew her apart.

Casualties were surprisingly light, and many of her company survived
(miraculous in view of the explosion at the end).

This footage was very highly classified during WW2, as it was felt that
showing it would be detrimental to morale.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle