Prev: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies Next: RE: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies

RE: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

From: Nathan Pettigrew <nathanp@M...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:25:48 -0700
Subject: RE: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

<some stuff snipped>

> In FT, that's not true.  A squadron of destroyers with Class
> 1 bats, if they
> can get into range, can seriously damage a BB, a DN, or a
> SDN.	It's because
> the balance between armour and weaponry is different in FT;
> in Naval combat,
> armour is protective, and does not suffer damage while
> defending the ship.
> In FT, screens reduce but do not stop damage, and armour is ablative;
> eventually, you can get through.

One way to change this might be to rate armor against weapons.

i.e. Class 1 armor prevents all damage by Class 1 beams, acts normally
vs
higher class beams.
	Class 2, etc...

higher classes of armor cost more (mass and points).  One would also
have to
figure out how this would effect damage by pulse torps, SLMs, etc...  As
write this I have visions of an almost invulnerable DD with 1 point of
Class
4 armor.  If it was costed correctly, that might be all he could carry,
if
that.

Just an untested thought,
Nathan

Prev: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies Next: RE: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies