Prev: ADB, from a former SFB-er Next: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies

RE: railguns

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:00:57 +0200
Subject: RE: railguns

Roger Books wrote:

> > At those speeds, the slugs don't need to be very large - the
kinetic
> > energy of a 10-gram slug travelling at 0.01c is IIRC about one
kTon,
> > but don't quote me on that yet since my reference books are at work
:-(

> 1kTon tnt = 6.31*(10**8)joules  (newton*meter)

Thanks :-) That's the one I didn't have handy at home :-(

> My (probably faulty, if someone could check) old physics says it
works
> out to about 1kTon being about the same as 10 grams at 355km/sec
> relative velocity.  Hmmmm, about .001c.

Yep, correct. I was an order of magnitude off - in the right direction,
fortunately <g> 10g at .01c relative is about .1 MTon instead, so if it
hits someone is gonna get *hurt*...

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: ADB, from a former SFB-er Next: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies