Prev: Re: DDEs vs. DDs Next: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies

Re: Torpedos... and similarities/differences between the wet navy and the vaccuum heads...

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Torpedos... and similarities/differences between the wet navy and the vaccuum heads...

On 15-Sep-99 at 17:11, Ryan M Gill (monty@arcadia.turner.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>
> > And one more difference: There's no real reason not to use nukes in
> > space-to-space missiles, but there are strong reasons not to do this
in
> > the sea - all the Greens will strangle you <g>
>
> Well you hose your targeting systems for one. Can you say EMP effects?

When the intelligence guys went over the expected scenario for the
carrier I was on it went something like this (numbers not exact as
it's been 10 years)

Expect 40-80 tac nukes fired at the carrier.  1/2 will miss because
of poor targetting systems.  (20 left at best).  Or stand off defenses
(CAP, other ships using ECM and using SAM's) will take out half of
those left.  Our close in systems will get a couple more.  After this
1 will hit and the rest will be toasted by the fireball.

Intelligence told us they would be using tactical nukes, and lots of
them.

Gave us a real warm-fuzzy feeling.

Roger

Prev: Re: DDEs vs. DDs Next: Re: [Very OT]ADB's new web policies