Prev: simple strategic campaign for FT Next: Re: Background?

Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:19:27 -0700
Subject: Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

Why is it that space battles are always thought of in terms of naval
action
and not air force action? (Including me) Are we all firmly entombed
inside
a box that has been built by popular Sci Fi? Heck if anything the Air
Force
is the organizatuion that has it's hands buried firmly within the
aerospace
realm and no doubt with all the political squabbles for control that
will
arise when the armed services go to space for real, they may have an
upper
hand in ensuring that they are controlling things.

Just curious.

Also I agree with Tom. What differnce does it make if there is a wet
navy
precedent or not to smaller units in major actions? (I know it's
interesting) There have been plenty of battles fought in FT by everyone
here. Since that's the medium we use to decide the contest I would
accept
that experience along those lines before naval action experience.

And with that said, Kr'rt and I fought a 100+ ship major fleet battle
(took
all day), and IMO it was the smaller units that were absolutely vital in
that action since the big units pretty much just stayed ethir and
slugged
it out with each other for the whole battle, the DDs, fighters and
whatnot
were eth ones that go in (virtually ignored by teh big ships who were
fixated on eachotehr) and knifed everyone in the back with missles and
Torps.