Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

From: bbrush@r...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:45:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

Actually I talked to David (Weber) last year about designing a game to
simulate
the Honor Harrington space combat universe.  He talked at great length,
(as he
is wont to do) about how he had done such a set of rules as a lark.  He
concluded by saying he didn't think you could make a _fun_ game out of
it and
remain true to the background.	I tend to agree (after talking to him).
The
quantitative edge that the PNS has over the RMN would be extremely hard
simulate except on a full campaign setting.  If you go to a campaign
setting
then you are no longer doing strictly a space simulator and integrating
campaign system with a tactical system is a whopping big challenge.

Your comment about taking back your Russian campaign game is (I hope)
rhetorical.  I did not, nor would I, presume to claim that playing a
dictatorial
repressive nations role would not appeal to anyone.  I think most people
would
choose the role of the "good guy" over the "bad guy" if given a choice.
Maybe
that's my rural American upbringing showing, so take that for what it's
worth.

As far as your statement about me over-generalizing, well that's your
opinion
and your welcome to it, but I don't think I am.  I think a large
proportion of
gamers prefer a published background produced by a 3rd party.  I think
that the
reason you see so many people here doing their own thing (which I
applaud most
heartily) is because a large proportion of people are attracted to GZG
games by
the fact that doing your own thing is encouraged!  I used to play 40K
back in
the Rogue Trader days, and one of the biggest reasons I quit is because
doing
your own thing became less and less acceptable, and was certainly
discouraged by
the company.  I do think that as more and more background for the GZG
universe
is made available the number of people who like the games, but aren't
interested
in making up new stuff will increase.

Bill

Laserlight <laserlight@cwix.com> on 09/14/99 06:03:48 PM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 To:	  gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 cc:	  (bcc: Bill Brush/InfSys/Revenue)

>Also, in general, great books do not necessarily make great
games.	I think most
>people would agree that Weber's Honor Harrington series is
a great pseudo-hard
>science fiction series, but if a game was marketed based on
that system how
>playable would it be?	The Manties have an advantage on
almost every scale
>except quantity, which the PNS can't bring to bear
effectively due to having to
>police their rear-areas.  So you have a game where one side
has better ships,
>better crew, and better weapons.  The other side has more
ships.	In a one off
>or pickup game the Mantie is almost always going to win
unless there is a fairly
>big quantitative edge given to the PNS.

So design the game that way.  Quantity vs quality is always
fun.

> Also, you have the problem of who is
>going to _want_ to play the PNS?  Playing a repressive,
dictatorial government
>doesn't sell very well in the egalitarian society we
generally enjoy.

You mean I should send back my Avalon Hill Russian Campaign
(Hitler vs Stalin)?

>It may seem odd to some people (myself included) that
people don't want to
>create their own storylines, backgrounds, and history, but
the fact of the
>matter is, they don't.

I think you're overgeneralizing here.  _Some_ people don't
want to--so they buy GW.  Then there are the GZG listers,
who are busily designing their own planets, star systems,
societies, etc etc.  See the GZGPedia for details.  St^3 Jon
has provided a framework but it's not really necessary, just
convenient.  I grant you, creativity flourishes more within
a framework than without it; and is fostered by discussion.
I don't know that I'd have done all the work I have, if i
didn't expect someone to read it.

Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question