Prev: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: RE: [FT] PSB and Turn Length and [OT] World Sci Fi Con comments

[FT] re: Re: Sensors

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:36:42 -0400
Subject: [FT] re: Re: Sensors

> >One thing we are doing is ships equipped with ADFC may fire
> >at any fighter withing 6" of it.  Also, EW phase occurs
> >after point defense fire and dogfights but before fighter
> >attacks (so if you get your fighters within 6 inches and
> >I toast them they give no information).
>
> I'm becoming more inclined to give this a try. Has anyone
> playtested it yet?

i have done some playtest with the above and with PDS fires
at any ftr within 6" and ADFC at any ftr within 12".

the first idea plays well in that it is effect, but not
devastating.  this assumes not many ships (only escorts)
will pay for ADFC.  however, if several ships have ADFC,
simply write off your ftrs.  the concept of ADFC-only
fire at any ftr bothers me, tho.

the second idea i like better conceptually, but gameplay
is a bloodbath for fighters.  maybe this is just tactics.
our couple of games had the fighters go for the juicy
targets in the middle of the enemy fleet.  *everyone*
shot at those ftrs!  maybe this would not be so bad if
the ftrs went for cripples, ships at the edges of the
fleet.

anyway, that's the info so far, but we are still testing.

david

Prev: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: RE: [FT] PSB and Turn Length and [OT] World Sci Fi Con comments