Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: OT: Battle Masters Rules

Star Blazers Fleet Book Conversions

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:13:17 -0500
Subject: Star Blazers Fleet Book Conversions

> >My next project is to do the same thing for some Star Blazers ships.
>
> I've got a small start on Star Blazers designs in FTFB terms. There's
> a Gamilon Space Battleship online at the URL in my .sig, and it nows
> seems I realy did upload the Yamato too.

OUCH! I had seen your Gamilon BB but I just took a look at your Yamato
and
that is nasty!	Mass 736 with super hull giving 363 hull boxes and then
20
armor.....

We have taken quite different approaches to how to convert ships :)  My
Yamato (which follows with all the rest of the EDF ships) is mass 170
with a
weak hull for 34 hull boxes.

I converted the Yamato and the rest of the EDF so I could use them with
my
other Sci-Fi Crossover ships, so they had to balace out with the rest
and
with the SBFBS minis being kinda small, I couldn't have them too
powerful.
I used weak hulls on most so I could include all of the weapons plus
ships
die quickly in the show.  I used the stats from the Star Blazers Fleet
Battle System as a base but had fun at the same time.  Actually most of
the
point costs of the ships are very close to thier points in SBFBS.

> I still haven't settled on how to represent the Wave Motion Guns. I'm
> thinking of something along the lines of a Nova Cannon, but with
> varying effects based on size of the gun. The Star Blzers game
> classifies WMGs by range, so perhaps 1 mass per class of the WMG is
> SBFBS.

I shoved them in to a best fit.  The Yamato gets a Nova Cannon but I
want to
give it recharge rules like the Wave Gun, though I haven't finished that
yet.  The rest of the EDF get Wave Guns with the Andromedas getting more
than one.  I didn't think the variation was enough to make multiple
versions, but then my scale is much smaller than yours.

> I'm also worried about missiles. Star Blazers ships rely on beam
> weapons to kill most of their targets, but msisile strikes are
> occaisonally shown, and usually are deadly. The conversion to FT will
> also increase the range of missiles compared to beam weapons, but I'm
> not worried about that. The three classes of regular shipboard
> missiles (plus the torpedos) complicate things as well. My current
> take on the matter is to count 6 light missiles as 1 SML. It's still
> pretty rule of thumb, but I'll work something out and post it.

I tried to use a similar conversion, but it did not always work.  I
deleted
and added missiles in some cases so in the end, the ships had the
correct
feel though every system may not be represented.  I've worked on the
Gamilon
and Comet Empire ships and they have some rough spots I have to work
out,
like the Comet Missile Cruiser.

One quick rule variation for this universe, an ADFC will work for Class
1
Batteries used for point defence.

So here they are, my attempt to convert the Earth Defense Force ships to
Full Thrust Fleet Book rules.  These have not been played yet and I have
not
gotten any feedback from others yet so please help me out and let me
know
what you think. Th

Dean

-----------------------

Star Blazers EDF Ships

EDF Yamato Battleship
Cost 606 (plus fighters)
Mass 170
Weak Hull (34)
FTL
Thrust 3
3 Fire Controls
3 Class 3 Beam Batteries (2x(F/FP/FS), 1x(A/AP/AS))
2 Class 1 Beam Batteries (All arcs)
2 SMLs (F/FP/AP, F/FS/AS)
6 SM Reloads
2 Submunition Packs (F)
Nova Cannon (F)
3 PDSs
3 Fighter Bays

EDF Andromeda Battleship
Cost 752 (plus fighters)
Mass 211
Weak Hull (42)
Thrust 3
FTL
3 Fire Cons
4 Class 3 Beam Batteries (2x(F/FP/FS), 2x(A/AP/AS))
2 SMLs (F/FP/AP, F/FS/AS)
5 SM Reloads
2 Submunition Packs (F)
2 Pulse Torpedoes (F/FP, F/FS)
2 Wave Guns (F)
1 PDS
4 Fighter Bays

EDF Andromeda II Battleship
Cost 762 (plus fighters)
Mass 208
Fragile Hull (21)
Thrust 3
FTL
3 Fire Cons
4 Class 3 Beam Batteries (2x(F/FP/FS), 1x(A/AP/AS), 1 all arcs)
1 SMLs (F/FP/FS)
2 ER SM Reloads
2 Submunition Packs (F)
4 Wave Guns (2xF, 2xA)
1 PDS
5 Fighter Bays

EDF Borodino class Battleship
Cost 517 (plus fighters)
Mass 145
Weak Hull (29)
Thrust 3
3 Fire Cons
3 Class 3 Beam Batteries (2x(F/FP/FS), 1x(A/AP/AS))
2 Submunition Packs (F)
3 Pulse Torpedoes (F/FP/FS, F/FP, F/FS)
Wave Gun (F)
1 PDS
3 Fighter Bays

EDF Lexington class BattleCarrier
Cost 553 (plus fighters)
Mass 155
Weak Hull (31)
Thrust 3
FTL
3 Fire Cons
2 Class 3 Beam Batteries (F/FP/FS)
2 Pulse Torpedoes (F/FP/FS)
Wave Gun (F)
1 PDSs
5 Fighter Bays

EDF Hood class Battlecruiser
Cost 286
Mass 81
Weak Hull (16)
Thrust 4
FTL
2 Fire Cons
4 Class 2 Beam Batteries (2x(F/FP/FS), 1x(A/AP/AS), 1 all arcs)
4 SMRs (2xF/FP/AP, 2xF/FS/AS)
Wave Gun (F)
2 PDSs

EDF Konigsberg class Patrol Cruiser
Cost 216
Mass 61
Weak Hull (12)
Thrust 4
FTL
2 Fire Cons
3 Class 1 Beam Batteries (all arcs)
3 SMRs (F/FP/FS, F/FP/AP, F/FS/AS)
Wave Gun (F)
2 PDSs

EDF Gearing class Destroyer
Cost 136
Mass 38
Fragile Hull (4)
Thrust 6
FTL
1 Fire Con
1 ADFC
3 Class 1 Beam Batteries (all arcs)
3 SMRs (F/FP/FS, F/FP/AP, F/FS/AS)
1 PDS

EDF Arione class Frigate
Cost 115
Mass 32
Fragile Hull (3)
Thrust 6
FTL
1 Fire Con
1 ADFC
4 Class 1 Beam Batteries
2 SMRs (F/FP/FS)
1 PDS

Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: OT: Battle Masters Rules