Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: RE: Sensors

Sensors

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Sensors

It looks like there are two camps, those that don't want to have
an affect on the battle itself (Look at what they brought in, we'd
better RUN) and those that want to be able to sucker their opponents
in, of course, you could be the sucker.  With one off games the
second is a non-issue, each player gets X points you have a good idea
about the fleet size.  It only becomes an issue in campaign games, and
it has major affects in campaign games.

In a campaign game I won't fight a battle unless I think I can do more
damage to my opponent than I will take.  This makes knowledge of
his fleet very important.

This is what we are using for EW rules, compared to the other simple
system this one is extremely simple.  No die rolls, everything is
deterministic.

Yes, we realize that to fire your class 4's at max range requires
enhanced sensors.  To fire a 5 at max takes superior.

One thing we are doing is ships equipped with ADFC may fire at any
fighter withing 6" of it.  Also, EW phase occurs after point defense
fire and dogfights but before fighter attacks (so if you get your
fighters within 6 inches and I toast them they give no information).

Any comments?
EWM/ECM

· Visual detection, within 12 inches all information on the opposing
ships
  may be detected visually, you may look at your opponent's sheet to see

  any of their ships within 12 inches.

- Visual detection for fighters, reduce the range to 6 inches.

· Electronic detection
  · Within 12 inches all information as for visual detection.
  · Within 24 inches apparent mass of ship (this may be modified by ECM)
  · Within 36 inches targeting information only

· Enhanced sensors
  · Enhanced sensors take up 1 mass and cost 5 points
  · Enhanced sensors extend the range brackets by 1, so
     1. Within 24 inches as for visual
     2. Within 36 apparent mass
     3. Within 48 targeting information
  · Enhanced sensor information is available Fleet wide to the owning
player.
  · Enhanced sensor information may be made available to any local
allies.

· Superior sensors
  · Superior sensors take up 2 mass and cost 10 points
  · Superior sensors extend the range brackets by 2.
  · Superior sensor information is available Fleet wide to the owning
player.
  · Superior sensor information may be made available to any local
allies.

· ECM systems
  · Each ECM system takes 1 mass and costs 5 points
  · Range brackets may be reduced by one using one or more ECM systems,
    they do not add.   So.
     4. Within 12 inches mass only (although your opponent will then
	use visual)
     5. Within 24 inches targeting.
  · In mass detection ranges the mass of the ship may be enhanced to
appear
    as up to 50 mass greater per ECM used.  For example an ECM scout of
    mass 12 with 3 ECM systems could look like a capital ship of mass
162.

· ECM/sensor interaction
  · An ECM system when used for range bracket lowering cancels the
affects
    of enhanced sensors (so the ship acts as if it had normal sensors).
  · An ECM system when used for range bracket lowering decreases the
    affects of superior sensors so they behave like enhanced sensors.
  · ECM benefits apply only to the ships equipped with ECM.

Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: RE: Sensors