Prev: Re: [FMA] Unengaging game Next: Re: SG in 15mm

Re: Attack fighter versus shields

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Attack fighter versus shields

On  3-Sep-99 at 14:53, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> Roger Books asked:
>
> > Sorry, I wasn't being very clear in the body of my post.
> >
> > Level 2 Screens "Rolls of 5 and 6 each inflict one point of
> > damage"
> >
> > Attack Fighters: "if firing on an un-screened target ship they
> > would inflict...and 2 DP with 5 or 6."
> >
> > So what do they do to a ship with level 2 screens?
>
> Ah, sorry. Should be 1 point on 4, 5 or 6 IMO; the example suggests
> that a "7" is treated as a 6 for the straight damage. Also, they'd be
> underpriced if they did 2 pts against lvl-2 screens on a "7" :-/

I'll go with that, but I don't get where they are underpriced.	Fighters
are the most expensive system on my ships.  Not counting drive/hull/etc
which everything pays, you pay 9x3+fighter cost for 6 fighters.  So
a fighter squadron costs 45 points, an attack fighter squadron costs
51 points.  That's pretty hefty, for the same mass I could have 3 class
2's and 3 class ones, and they would only cost 27 points.  I would have
to take thresholds to lose the 3s and 2s, I lose the combat
affectiveness
of the fighters with stinking little pdf's.

The only gain you get with fighters is flexibility, and you pay for
that with almost double cost.

I'll again make my assertion about "best" weapon in the game.  The best
weapon is beams.  If you want an awesome big ship, take 1/3 for 3's,
1/3 for 2's, and 1/3 for 1s (after pds's of course).  take a few extra
FC's so the 1's can add into point defense and I would put it up against
about anything anyone can design.  The biggest reason I don't do this
is I like the fun of various weapons.

Of course, you can always roll like I did at lunch yesterday.  19 dice
of beams against class 1 shields, 2 points of damage.  A bit later 16
dice again against class 1's, 1 point.	Needless to say 3 Heavy Cruisers
took out my SDN. It didn't help that my opponent rolled 11 points damage
with 3 dice of beams.

Roger

Prev: Re: [FMA] Unengaging game Next: Re: SG in 15mm