Prev: SG in 15mm Next: Re: Con-Quest '99

Re: SG in 15mm

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:55:51 -0700
Subject: Re: SG in 15mm

I've finally bitten the bullet on 15mm sf skirmish. I decided to
track down some of the Star Wars micromachines troops. These are very
nicely in 15mm, fir very well on maps from Azhanti High Lightning,
and come nicely painted.

I had a set of the rebel troopers around, sitting next to some 25mm
stormtroopers. One day the connection hit me, and I grabbed AHL. Lo
and behold, the figs were in scale. I hit eBay and scrounged up some
figures. Packs of 9 figures are going for about $12 (a little less,
but there's shipping to consider). Not a bad price for painted figs,
AND they help me get my Star Wars fix.

At 12:14 PM -0700 9/3/99, Los wrote:
>I'm really wringing my hands over the various scales right now. I
>have now painted
>up fairly large forces in 25mm (Company of Kra'Vak, a couple
>platoons of NSL, a
>platoon of OUDF/NAC, plus various extras, plus a platoon of  these
>other non-GZG
>25mm marines) and I've got more in the pipeline (a platoon of
>Jaegers, some Mercs,
>and some PAU) The problem is I want to do some near future stuff and
there's
>virtually no modernish looking figures in 25mm. ANyway these figs
>really are great
>for FMA also.
>
>Then there's 20mm I have a fair amount of 20mm WWII (Brit, Ger and
>UK paras) plus I
>juts found a great site with all kinds of 60s-90s 20mm, ('specially
>Africans and
>Portuguese) but virtually No SF in 20mm. Weird. 20mm works a little
>better for SG if
>size/scale ground/figure issues matter.
>
>Now I don't have any 15s but see the value in them and would like to
>jump in and get
>some but then here we go again starting from scratch with a  whole
>new scale. Yeesh
>a wargamers work is never done. (Plus there is a lack of 15mm troops
>it seems). I'm
>a fan of big battles for SG2 else FMA fits the bill (up to a platoon
>if you do it
>right).
>
>SO what the heck perhaps time to take another plunge...
>
>Los
>

>hrupe@Notes.State.NE.US wrote:
>
>> I wholeheartedly agree with Allan on the use of 15mm for SG in
>>games were there
>> are large numbersof vehicles and or troops.	I had the pleasure of
>>playing in
>> two of Allan's scenarios at Gen-Con.  The Plasma Ambushworked out
>>graet in 15mm
>> but the scenario Enemy Mine was just as perfectly sutied to the
>>25mm scale in
>> which we played.  IMHO scenarios with small forces or in close
>>quaters combats
>> (urban fights for exp) work better in 25mm as it helps capture the
feel and
>> because of the availabilty of 25mm resin buildings such as those
>>from Armorcast.
>> As I stated before I have a platoon of FSE in 25mm and plan on
>>adding a squad or
>> two of PA troops but I would really like to see the GZG line of
>>15mm be expanded
>> as that scale would be more apprioate for Company scale actions.
>>Hopefully if
>> St. Jon sees enough interest in 15mm he will expand the range
>>beyond just the
>> NAC and ESU troops available.
>>
>> Hobie, former Digest Lurker

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/
Security and Privacy Alert:
http://www.cryptonym.com/hottopics/msft-nsa.html

Prev: SG in 15mm Next: Re: Con-Quest '99