Prev: RE: [FT] P-torp history question Next: Re: Attack fighter versus shields

Roughnecks: The SST chronicles

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:21:18 -0400
Subject: Roughnecks: The SST chronicles

Alert! a new series has begun on TV. It's called Roughnecks: The
Starship
Trooper chronicles and it's a CGI animation ala Voltron of Beast Wars.
I'm
watching and recording as I type. Here it's on WB at 0630 daily but is
also on
Sci Fi.around 0730 so Look around.

The Graphics if anything are even more stunning than Voltron or Beast
Wars. Very
Impressive. This series is a better mix of book and film. The bugs look
like the
movie and have tankers and plasma types also.The hoppers move in swarms
up to
hundreds or thousands.

The MI have Power Armor that works with flip down heads up binder and
lethal
weapons basic weapon is a murita an over under powergun/GL kills bugs
with a few
shots max but you can target to single shot lethalitry if you have the
time.
There's crew served lasers other MLPs and combat walkers.

The MI seems to move in squads as the basic element, much better tactics
than
the movie. Radczak is their leader, looks like most of the squad are
teens.
Rico's there, Ace and Dizzy (She's a little more, ahem, shall we say
proportionally enhanced"). It is geared for teens so there are some
subplots ala
will Dizzy ever get Rico to date her or will he forever hold out his
heart for
Carmen.

BTW Carmen and Xander are fighter pilots flying CAS for the MI so you
get some
fighter combat and CAS detail in the shows. Nice spaceships, fighters
and
overall hardware.

The one grips is that there were few human casualties displayed. One guy
was
wounded when a bug grabbed his midsection but he survived. Carmen's
fighter was
down in A2A w/ the hoppers but she was rescued. Radczak has his
(mechanical) arm
ripped off. Other than that it was mostly the bugs dying. Probably
something to
do with the fact that this is after all kids TV. PLots and violence
suitable
adjusted for that audience.

ANyway someone alerted me to the show last night so now I'm passing it
along.
Worth the watch. Apparently they made 40x30min episodes.
Cheers..

Los
 http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=4253

http://www.scifi.com/bin/schedulebot.cgi?db=US%3AEastern&ds=1&mon=9.99&w
d=d&s=2

Prev: RE: [FT] P-torp history question Next: Re: Attack fighter versus shields