Prev: Re: Civilian Shipping Next: Re: AMCs

Re: Civilian Shipping

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:39:05 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Civilian Shipping

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Michael Llaneza wrote:

> the British used a few liners as auxiliary warships in WWI and WWII,
> the Germans used a few as raiders. The HM(M)S Carmania fought a duel
> with the Cap Trafalgar, both were originally liners (both ships
> sank). I've heard of very few troopship losses in WWI or WWII, I've

The US had a number of Converted Troop ships. Surprisingly there were a
number of things tha had to be done to make them workable for troopship
duty. The easy part was striiping out the really expensive furnishings
and adding some basic defensive weapons. The hard part was fitting a
much
larger Water Purification plant for the increased capacity of people on
board.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Civilian Shipping Next: Re: AMCs