Prev: [FT] NARC Next: Re: FT fighter combat (game idea) / FMA

Re: Civilian Shipping

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:57:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Civilian Shipping

the British used a few liners as auxiliary warships in WWI and WWII,
the Germans used a few as raiders. The HM(M)S Carmania fought a duel
with the Cap Trafalgar, both were originally liners (both ships
sank). I've heard of very few troopship losses in WWI or WWII, I've
seen a reference to a troopship loss in "Infamy" and a documentary
that covered a small coastal troop convoy attacked off the coast of
England and lost 3 ships and about 1000 men. Even with those, the
Allied navies did a fine job protecting troopships.

At 10:11 PM -0400 8/26/99, Fred and Evelyn Wolke wrote:
>At 06:48 PM 8/26/99 -0700, you wrote:

>>>Passenger Liners were frequently build with government money on a
>>>contingency that if the nation went to war, the vessels would be
pressed
>>>into serverice by the military for Troop Ship duities. Most Liners
were
>>>done so during WWI and WWII.
>>
>>And proved to be almost worse than useless in actual combat.
>
>[snip]
>
>Passenger liners were very rarely pressed into service as warships.
(Truk
>lagoon is an exception)  Instead, they were used as troopships; if your
>troopship gets fired on, you're doing something wrong...
>
>*****
>
>thewolkes@earthlink.net
>http://home.earthlink.net/~thewolkes
>

>*****

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/

Prev: [FT] NARC Next: Re: FT fighter combat (game idea) / FMA