Prev: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp Next: Re: Civilian Shipping

Re: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp

On 26-Aug-99 at 14:46, GBailey@aol.com (GBailey@aol.com) wrote:
> Individual fighter combat in FT?   Please, NO!   It ruined SFB for me.

> Don't ruin FT for me, also.  If such a system sees print in an FT book
> then people will use it, no matter how much I'll argue against it.  It
> seems  to be the nature of the gaming beast.	The squadron concept
works
> fine (IMHO).
>
> I've thought about pulse torpedoes as plasma torpedoes, limiting
> the arc to 60 degrees and using about 2-6 PTLs as one plasma torpedo
> launcher depending on the size of the plasma torpedo to fire.
> (small launcher = 2 PTLs, big launcher = 6 PTLs).
> But it just doesn't feel right.
> Any problems with a "narrow salvo" concept, in that you roll one die
for
> all the PTs classified as one weapon so either the weapon hits and
rolls
> all the dice or misses and gets none?

I don't see a problem if it's a concept thing.	I would be careful
about doing this in general though.  It turns things into a big
crap shoot.

IE, I "narrow salvo" my 16 Class 1s, either I do nothing, 16 or 32+,
normally I would do 12.8 damage.  Suddenly, with this opponent, it
will always come down to a 3/6 chance of losing the ship and a 3/6
chance of nothing.  I don't like tieing everything to one die roll.

Roger

Prev: FT: fighter combat, plasma torp as pulse torp Next: Re: Civilian Shipping