Prev: Re: 3D Avalon Next: RE: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

From: "The Sutherlands" <nma@k...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:43:23 +0900
Subject: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

>> > I do not like using missiles as plasma torpedoes as another tried
in
>some
>> > post long ago.  Just doesn't have that feel, besides point defenses
>should
>> > not work against plasma torpedoes.
>>
>> I know what you mean: but in the one episode of ST:TOS where Plasma
>> Torps were used, the counter was to both a) Fly Backwards as fast as
>> possible (Kaufman Retrograde in other words) and b) Fire Phasers at
the
>> thing.
>>

>Which episode was that?  I will have to re-view my copy.
>
>Donald Hosford
>***
>
>Balance of Terror. It was the introduction to the Romulans. I'm not
sure
>that
>the phaser fire was actually credited with having any effect. As with
the
>Nova, the plasma got weaker with range.
>
>I'm pretty certain the phaser fire was called to 'detonate' the plasma
>ball.
>Even SFB's plasma torp seeking qualities aren't necessarily required.
Makes
>sense, but it's possible that the show's PSB was that, if you attempted
>side-step one barreling down on you, you'd get nailed.
>
>I think it was used in only the one show, in a special modified
sub-light
>craft. There must have been SOME reason they couldn't put it on the
Klingon
>built cruisers.

In the "Star Fleet Battles" universe of Star Trek the Romulans did put
plasma on the Klingon hulls.  In the Star Trek time line of the TV shows
the
Romulans appeared to have given up on plasma torpedoes as weapons all
together.  The Bird of Prey, from the next generation, has not a single
plasma at all.

If you wanted to keep the same flavor of the original weapon I see 2
easy
ways of simulating it.	First just say it is a P-torp that does 6 points
of
damage -1 for every 6" distance to the target.	Fast and is resolved in
one
round.	If you dont mind the book keeping you could use the modified
missile
rules but you already said that was no good.

							    Charles

Prev: Re: 3D Avalon Next: RE: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes