Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:41:54 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

The problem with space is that it is literally space.  The amount of
space
you are talking about is difficult to imagine.	I mapped out our solar
system
and the distance of each hex was 0.4 AU's.  In the accepted tactical of
1"
equals 1,000 km's, that means the are of that 0.4 AU hex is about 3.6
BILLION
square inches.	Of course space is three dimensional so the actual area
is
MUCH larger...	Earth is a 1 AU (149,597"), Jupiter is at 5.2 AU
(778,412"),
and Pluto is at 39.5 AU (5,906,376"). I don't see how you could defended
it
by placing interdicter cruisers in jump lanes.	I don't think there will
be
jump lanes as such.  Earth is covered 2/3 water, and that is two
dimensional
(for shipping, there haven't been that many merchant submarines).  Space
is
about 99.9% space, and it is THREE dimensional for shipping.  That is
one
huge difference.  Your going to defend systems by having enough at the
site
to tie down the attacker while the fire brigade somewhere else in system
hurries to that location, hopefully ariving just in the nick of time...
Or
they are going to just get close enough to positively I.D. the attacker,
and
then send that info. to fleet and leave you to your fate...

Unless you don't want to make it realistic, and then you can do whatever
you
want...

IAS

Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...