Prev: Re: [FH] Islamic and Alarishi systems Next: Re: [FT]

[FT]

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:46:37 -0400
Subject: [FT]

First of all: Thank you all for the help with styrofoam.  The first coat
of
Mod-Podge is drying even as we speak (producing an odor that's very
nearly
tangible at this point); I suspect that I'll need to apply at least
another
two coats before I'm done.  But so far, so good.

I was discussing this project with a friend today, and he made a novel
suggestion:  Use half of a clear dome (like those dispensed by the toy
machines in supermarkets all across the U.S.) and paint the continents,
seas, and terrain on the *inside* surface of the dome.	This would be
difficult, but not impossible -- you'd be painting from the outside in.
Then, when the "surface" is done, paint cloud formations on the outside
of
the dome.  This should lead to actual shadows of clouds on the surface
of
the planet if the lighting conditions are right.

Frankly, this is beyond my painting skills.  I thought that someone
might
be intrigued by the idea, though.  I seem to remember a web page that
showed a similar idea (The Helios Project, I think?) but can no longer
find
the links.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: [FH] Islamic and Alarishi systems Next: Re: [FT]