Prev: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:14:05 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Robertson, Brendan wrote:
>
> > Wrong game universe for most of this theory.  There aren't any 'jump
points'
> > in the Tuffleyverse, as a normal jump can spit you out several light
minutes
> > off your plotted exit point.

The way the Tuffleyverse is written battles should only occur around
important strategic pieces of terrain.	Space is big, and as someone
(can't remember who) said, "Only fight battles you have to win."
Without jump points defense of a system is next to impossible, you can
only
defend the planet or the asteroid.  This is fine, but realize all those
empty space battles wouldn't happen.

A campaign without jump points is rather difficult, there is no such
thing
as a rear, everything is frontline.  That makes choke points impossible.
It also means that in reality, unless your intelligence told you where
your opponent was going, the attacker would always be able to muster
overwhelming force.

We are getting ready to play with jump-lines instead of jump points.
You may only jump between certain systems however you may arrive any
distance you wish out.	It just takes longer to get to your destination.

We'll see how it works.

Roger

Prev: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...