Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: RE: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Re: SML Absorbers

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:25:44 -0400
Subject: Re: SML Absorbers

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Tom Anderson wrote:
>
> > i'd point out that granaatscherven-type ships would have a multitude
of
> > other uses, as couriers (no other FTL comms, remember), scouts
(likewise,
> > not FTL sensors), customs, police and fleet security work (stopping
> [snip]
>
> This is all right on.
>
> The Russians have a big example of this. They have a large littoral
> force of small combatants that operate close to shore and deal with
those
> various kinds of issues, fisheries law enforcement, border patrol,
etc.
> Most other nations have some sorts of gunboats for that very purpose.
ie
> the coast guard in the case of the US.
>
> Now that I finnaly picked up the fleet book, I got to look at my
concept
> for a Torpedo Boat/Patrol craft for system defense.
>
> Mass 8
> Hull weak	  1
> Thrust 6	  2
> Plasma Torp	  4
> PDS		  1

I don't think I'd bother with the PDS, you aren't going to do
any signicant damage to fighters or SML's before it pops like
a bug.

I considered this ship at one point (All submunitions instead
of torps), but the thought of losing as many ships as my opponent
had fire controls left a bad taste in my mouth.

My latest idea has been designing ships with submunitions and
armour, the survivability goes way up.

Roger

Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: RE: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...