Prev: Re: The UN Next: RE: The UN

Re: Vector Movement

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:52:34 EDT
Subject: Re: Vector Movement

In a message dated 8/21/99 2:01:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
los@cris.com
writes:

<<
 What a lot of wazoo tech  is accomplishing is add information overload
to a
 commander's worries. It's not like our brains are being upgraded at the
same
 pace. Also while any given piece of wazoo tech is fine, it's rare to
see it
all
 being used at the same time at once due to a whole range of assets
including
 availability, compatibility, and of course enemy counter-actions.

 In fact now that we're on the subject we should have a good discussion
on the
 foreseeable future and roll of artillery on some of these planetary
operations
 and how it impacts SG.. (Too late for me, gotta sleep!)

A company task force rarely has more than its own mortar assets
permanently
dedicated, battalion and brigade assets are usually pre-assigned to
support
operations as per the operations order. We've always been more flexible
than
the old soviet doctrine where artillery assets and air support were
obtainable only by higher level commanders. To move toward that model
would
be a terrible loss of flexibility in a tactical sense when we are
already
overburdened by a lack of "numbers" of assets to put in the field in the

first place. In the tactical requirements of raid and counter raid some
sort
of light artillery on the ground would be a good choice OR an
"ortillery"
launch platform - either solution should be controllable by a FST
officer or
vehicle assigned to the raiding unit to make sure that limited assets
are
used to the maximum of their capability.

When I design a SG or Dirtside unit's TOE, I put light artillery assets
right
with it, usually some variety of multi-barrel rocket launcher or mortar
vehicle.

Prev: Re: The UN Next: RE: The UN