Prev: DragonFlight Con - Aug 27th -> 29th Next: Re: premeasuring=holy wars

Re: Quick subject switch to SGII (was: Re: Vector Movement)

From: "Clear me for docking. Put away the breakables, turn on the landing lights. I'm coming in..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:37:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Quick subject switch to SGII (was: Re: Vector Movement)

The_Beast-master-dude ssys:

>Talk of fairness and the capability of fire controls does not
>stand up to simple game mechanics and flow. I'm lousy at table
>estimation, but I know that the game can really bog down if
>every shot stops while the commander starts measuring distances
>to various targets to determine optimum. Eyeballing and guess-
>timating aren't instantanous, but are mechanically quicker, and
>easier to call a friendly 'delay of game' taunt.

Hmmm. I've played in a few rather significantly sized games (~15-20
ships)
and hadn't noticed any slow down upon pre-measuring. Of course, no one
measured *each* *individual* *ship* to *each* *individual* *potential*
*target*, either! What we've done us just do basic range bands to groups
of ships ("this group here is within 24 mu, except those two ships over
there, who are at 26 and 28 mu"). Said information is shared with every-
one playing, so really only one person is doing the measuring, and all
benefit from it (rather than each individual person measuring).
Secondary
measuring is done throughout the turn to help with the firing decision
process, and these are very quick: whip out tape, string it between
firing
ship and potential targets, note range bands, make firing decisions.
Takes
10 seconds. If that. We all recognize the potential for someone to dally
while measuring, which is why we share the info with the group. And most
everyone, when they take secondary measurements, does it quickly, so as
to not hold up the turn.

So, for me, pre-measuring doesn't slow things down. It usually takes far
more time trying to figure out where I'm going to put any salvo missiles
(assuming I'm playing with them! ;-) than it does to pre-measure ship
ranges/positions.

Mk
-
I'm not giving in to security under pressure,
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure,
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams -
Experience to extremes...experience to extremes....
					   Rush - "The Enemy Within"

Prev: DragonFlight Con - Aug 27th -> 29th Next: Re: premeasuring=holy wars