Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: Stompers

Re: Granaatscherven

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:42:40 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Granaatscherven

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Izenberg, Noam wrote:

> Maybe I miscounted, but I thought my AI scout had 3 hull boxes (1 hull
+ 2
> armor). I didn't but any weapons on it becuase the base AI in the PSB
I wish
> to use would be overtaxed trying to maneuver with the  ship its
escorting
> _and_ conduct defensive fire.

i worked it out on argmageddon outfitter, which i think may behave a
little strangely at low mass.

> I'm not a big fan of Tom's true Mass 3 shrapnel, since one hit from a
beam
> flays it away. If  the enemy needs to waste long range fire getting
rid
> ofthese gnats, then that pushes my long range firepower advantage, and
buys
> me more time to close toa point where I can deprivehim of SM's to
fire.
> Eitherway the shrapnel does its job.

exactly; my doctrine is to get in close as quickly as possible where my
ships' 2-batts and pulse torps are at their most effective. the shrapnel
are an ablative defence to allow the capitals to survive the SM kill
zone
at about 24 mu (iirc). with thrust 6, my ships can close quick enough
that
the enemy doesn't get much of a chance to strip the granaatscherven away
with beam fire.

tom

Prev: Re: SML Absorbers Next: Stompers